Thursday 13 May 1993

Granada 2 – Albaizín

In the evening I took a walk through the Albaizín area of Granada. This is a World Heritage listed area of Granada that retains many of the Moorish buildings. Whitewashed walls fronted narrow winding streets. No doubt it's become even more trendy in the years since; I see names of restaurants on maps.


From the Albaizín you can see Alhambra. Note the Moorish influence in the name of the residence Carmen de Alhamar.

I noted that people in the south had on the average darker complexions than in the north. I also saw gypsies in the streets. Many played musical instruments for donations.


Back in the main city I found a pizzeria and had a frutti di mare pizza. It was the thin crust original variety. Walking around the block I passed the Japanese girl from Cuenca. I debated with myself whether to introduce myself. I turned around and caught up with her near the cathedral. Turned out G is Korean and travelling for a few months in Europe. The Asian she spoke to in Cuenca was another tourist who had asked her a question. We had a long conversation over café con leche and sherry at Plaza de Campillo. We agreed to go together to the Sierra Nevada the next day. Turned out by pure coincidence she was also staying at Hostal Gomérez.

Throughout the day I debated with myself whether to attend the Pat Metheny concert. From the bus station timetables I saw that I could come over from Sevilla for the concert and catch an early morning bus back. The last straw was that the concert was not in the Congress Hall but in the Palacío de Deportes (Sports Arena) and I had no idea where that was in relation to the bus station. So I gave up that idea. (Now in 2013 with the aid of an online map I see that it's about a couple of km out of the centre, and there might have been night buses or it would have been walking distance if I had to.)


No comments:

Post a Comment