Monday 17 May 1993

Sevilla 1

Even the breakfast cafe seemed benighted, there was no chocolate or fresh pastries. I had to settle for a packaged one. One customer was drizzling olive oil on a piece of toast. Oh well, I suppose it's healthier than butter. The land between Córdoba and Sevilla looked like a rumpled piece of paper. Sunflowers grew on the median strip as well as the fields. They were starting to bloom.


I got lost in the Barrio de Santa Cruz with its narrow streets but finally found the Hostal Archeros where I got a nice room with a shower cubicle inside. I strolled around the old quarter for a while before the heat and windy conditions stirring up dust devils in the streets drove me back to siesta.


In the evening it had turned cool and humid after rain. I had nice cannelloni with salad and a sherry at the Pizzeria Renato on Calle 2 de Mayo. Sherry is the anglicised form of Jerez, a nearby town where the fortified wine is produced. Street vendors were selling pipas peladas (sunflower seeds) and avellanas tostadas (roasted hazelnuts).

I decided to have a relaxed evening, read the newspaper in my room and leave the sightseeing for the next day. Various snippets: There was furor over the recent devaluation of the peseta. Spain had the highest interest rate (over 12%) and unemployment in the EC. Knives were used more than fireams for killings but the solution rate was 96%, highest in Europe, i.e. such crimes were mostly between related or acquainted people. Asturians had the highest life expectancy in the world. A national election was coming up and the PSOE described PP policies as disneylandia. Election slogan: Así se hace el cambio (This way to create change). Graffito: No toque a mi colega, don't touch my colleague, protesting against US bullying of Cuba.

No comments:

Post a Comment