Saturday 29 May 1993

Last day in Spain

Today's the day to tie up all the loose ends. As it was Saturday I went to the Rastro (flea market) just in case there were any interesting goods and to pass time. It was non-existent or I was too early. Parque de Oeste was also sparsely attended, just a few people with kids or dogs. Maybe the majority were sleeping off Friday night festivities. There was a rose garden which was fragrant, but I feel that just one genus is boring. I found the dictionaries I wanted at El Corte Inglés. I also bought a jigsaw puzzle as a present, though I have forgotten to whom I gave it.

Late in the evening, I went to Café Central to listen to Tomas San Miguel and Friends. I didn't know who he was, but I discovered later that he is a well-known composer and keyboardist. The music was beautiful, and had a new age or ethnic feel. I now realise that the "lovely percussion work on metal rods and wooden beams" I wrote about must have been the txalaparta, of Basque origin. It seems to have experienced a revival and there are many virtuoso players now. If one of them ever holds a concert here, I'm attending.

It was past midnight when the concert ended. I got my key deposit back from the hostal before going to my room as I would be leaving before daybreak. I stayed up reading Umberto Eco until it was time to leave for the airport, just before 4 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment