Thursday 27 May 1993

Madrid 5

From the train I saw deer in a park as we approached Madrid. We arrived at 0700. Estación Chamartin was new and shiny. I caught the metro to Sol and had breakfast in a bar before leaving my bag at the Lucense. The concierge, the mother, was sleepy as it was only around 8. It was still too early to call KLM to reconfirm my ticket. It was a cold and rainy morning. Where to sit down? Even Maccas wasn't open until 1030. I went to the Museo de Jamon and had another breakfast. There I chatted with a Belgian couple. They were in a group of 10 from Flanders. It seemed that one of the women had been robbed by a thief who followed her into the hotel. They blamed unemployment and drugs.


At 1000 I went to the Museo Reina SofiaGuernicaPicasso's protest against the killing of innocent civilians by the aerial bombing of the eponymous Basque village, is a physically imposing painting at 7.8 x 3.5 metres. It's behind bullet-proof glass. A note mentions that Picasso worked on it between 1 May and 7 July 1937. There was no place in the room to sit and contemplate the painting. Besides Picasso, Dalí is also well represented at the Reina Sofia. I noted that the outlines of figures in his works glow. He is best known for his modern art, but was also a competent portrait painter.

By this time the sun was out but it was still cool and windy. I went back to have a siesta. In the afternoon I had time on my hands so I sat in the Retiro watching the world go past and eating pipas. Pigeons ate pipas whole but what could a sparrow do with a whole huge pipa I wondered. There was a bunch of black feral cats roaming. This late in the trip I was suffering from homesickness and feelings of cynicism. Madrid was dirty, busy, and impersonal, but there was no doubt that there was a lot going on.


That evening I finally managed to find a serving of horchata, something the guide book said to try. It was pleasant and vaguely reminiscent of almond drink. I wouldn't hesitate to have it again. With the benefit of Wikipedia today, I see that the main ingredient is chufa, from Valencia. I rounded off the evening with a film at the Cine Dore, Man Hunt, made in 1941 by Fritz Lang. It was a wartime thriller but unfortunately had propaganda thrown in due to the times it was made in.

No comments:

Post a Comment